Monday, February 13, 2012

Almost Paleo Chili

My recent decision to change to a mostly paleo diet is still holding strong.  From February 1st- 26th (the beginning of my epic trip to Honduras) I have made a pact with the Crossfit crew to eat paleo and Crossfit 5x week.  I'm on week two, day 1.  It's hard.  And I've definitely cheated with the paleo thing already, whoopsie!

This recipe has been past down to me from my late Grandma Barbara.  I am all about the original recipe, but over the years I have began to alter it a little.  I've made it a bit heart healthier, and given it a bit more Mexican flare.  I think it's great.  Here's where the recipe stands today...





Ingredients.

1 can crushed tomatoes
1 can whole tomatoes
2 cans black beans (Paleo kids-remove beans/ sub steak)
1 package ground turkey
1 green bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
3 garlic cloves
2 yellow onions
1 can black olives

Herbs & Spices.

5 tablespoons chile powder
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 teaspoon black pepper
Dash of oregano
Handful chopped parsley
Handful chopped cilantro

Cook it.

Chop up all the veggies.  Line a large pot with olive oil a few times around.  Throw in all the veggies and cook over low heat until the onions are translucent (about 10 minutes).

While that is cooking, in another pan sauté the turkey meat.  Cook thoroughly adding salt & pepper.

When the veggies are done cooking, add the turkey, beans, and tomatoes to the pot.  Add all of the herbs and spices and lower the heat to a simmer.  Cook for 40min- 1hour covered.

Serve with freshly baked cornbread if you aren't doing a silly Paleo diet!  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment